Catania. Candlemas under house of boss, filed lawsuit against reporters
It was established by the Court of Catania. The journalists of Meridionews had told of the unusual stop in the procession and were denounced by the association of fruit and vegetable vendors
The Court of Catania filed, on February 12, 2016, the lawsuit for aggravated defamation against Dario De Luca and Luisa Santangelo, journalists for the Sicilian outlet MeridioNews, which gave the news on February 15, 2016. The two had been sued by the association of fruit and vegetable vendors. The article, published on February 7, 2015, reported of the unusual stop of the votive candle in Sant’Agata under the home of an alleged boss, at that time under house arrest.
The court held that the publication of the unscheduled stop, “seems to want to make a mere reconstruction of the events without exceeding into a specific offense to the image of the association.” “We were always calm because we are convinced of having done our job well”, De Luca told Ossigeno, which had already dealt with this case.